The AAO launched its second Instagram influencers campaign on January 16 as part of the 2019-20 Consumer Awareness Program (CAP). The AAO sponsored posts of 17 mom influencers, with the posts reaching a total of 1,097,451 followers.
The second Instagram campaign was scheduled in January because the theme was, “3 Ways to Prioritize Healthy Smiles for Your Family This Year.” Each influencer’s post had three stories from the AAO emphasizing orthodontic check-ups by age 7, the importance of wearing a retainer and a reminder to consult an AAO orthodontist.
Many of the influencers’ followers engaged with the posted content with comments or questions such as:
- “I had no clue it’s recommended to take them so young! But it definitely makes sense to catch any issues early on.”
- “I didn’t know that! Our family doctor told us that we need to wait until they’re 10 to really determine if the kids need some extra dental care. I’m sure my 8-year-old needs to be looked at.”
- “I got braces a couple years ago when I was 32. Best decision ever! My teeth started shifting after having kids, so I decided to take care of myself. I’m SO glad I did! Feels good to love my smile again!”
- “You have inspired me to get a consultation and I’ll be 33 tomorrow!!!”
- “This is really good information. I’ve always wondered when it’s good time to take little ones in.”
Second Influencers Campaign Achieved a 180 Percent Increase in Post Reach
A social media influencer is one whose authority, knowledge, position or relationship with his/her audience is so strong that the influencer impacts purchasing decisions or choices in aspects of life such as healthcare. The AAO has initiated a series of campaigns on Instagram, one of the primary social media outlets where many influencers have become prominent and attracted large followings.
The AAO utilizes influencers who focus on motherhood content, sharing high-quality photos of their families and communicating with their followers to provide inspiration and tips about raising children.
The first AAO mom influencer campaign, on October 4, 2019, involved 16 influencers and reached a combined audience of 400,000. The January 16 campaign achieved a 180 percent increase in post reach over the first campaign.
Influencers whose posts the AAO sponsored for the second campaign were expected to offer audience members posts with the following stories:
- Take your 7-year-old to an orthodontist: No dentist referral is required. The story includes a lay-friendly explanation of how an orthodontist can evaluate a child that age to determine whether an orthodontic problem exists or is developing.
- Wear your retainer. The key point is how teeth may shift over a lifetime. The posted content encouraged parents who have had orthodontic treatment to continue wearing their retainers.
- Consult an AAO orthodontist near you. The story emphasizes that many AAO orthodontists provide free or low-cost consultations.
About the Consumer Awareness Program
The all-digital CAP is the ONLY mass awareness campaign working to raise awareness among consumers about the benefits of orthodontic treatment provided by orthodontists, and promote orthodontists as specialists. Digital marketing platforms currently being utilized include paid search (Google, Yahoo! and Bing), website ads, social media outlets (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat), email marketing, online video, and much more.
AAO online ads are behaviorally targeted, to individuals who are researching orthodontic treatment topics online. By bringing approximately 5 million consumers per year to the website, aaoinfo.org, the CAP educates consumers about orthodontists and the importance of getting treatment from an orthodontist. In addition, visitors to the website have the opportunity to locate nearby AAO members through the ‘Find an Orthodontist’ service.