In June of this year, I spoke about the civil unrest impacting our country and how the AAO was taking a hard look in the mirror at ourselves and at the profession of orthodontics. We believe that diversity is a strength and ensuring the involvement of our diverse membership will only make the AAO stronger. As part of our strategic efforts to increase inclusivity, I am pleased to announce our new Inclusion and Engagement Task Force (IETF).
This Inclusion and Engagement Task Force will have the following charges:
- Work to support and inspire diverse groups within the AAO by helping to develop tools and pathways to leadership.
- Identify obstacles for involvement in the AAO and make recommendations for change.
- Identify the unique needs and issues that face diverse orthodontists and implement plans to address these needs.
The Task Force will be composed of 8 diverse AAO members, a staff liaison and a trustee liaison.
- Experience in leadership, whether it has been within the AAO or outside the AAO is preferred but not required.
- The Chair of the Task Force will serve for a one-year term in the inaugural year, and thereafter, will be elected by the Task Force.
- Each member will serve a two-year term with an option for renewal for up to three terms. The Task Force will meet via conference calls and communicate by electronic means.
Call to Action: We encourage you to take an active role in our association by completing the application on our member site by February 1st or nominating a person of diversity whom you think would bring insight, ideas and leadership to this Task Force.
- 12/30/20: Application is posted
- 02/01/2021: Application deadline
- 02/22/2021: Task Force members are announced
- March, 2021: Task Force kickoff meeting