To provide timely updates to members concerning practice management trends, the AAO has renewed its collaboration with business analytics provider, Gaidge. After each calendar quarter, the AAO will receive and share with members key practice metrics compiled from a subset of Gaidge client practices across the United States and Canada. This subset includes:
- Single-doctor practices under $1 million in quarterly productivity; and
- Multi-location practices with up to 10 locations.
The purpose of the collaboration is to aid members with assessment of practice health, short-term and long-term goal-setting and other key practice processes.
Second Quarter (April – June) 2019:
Single-Doctor, Multi-Doctor Practices See Gains in Production, Collections, Exams
For the second quarter of 2019, Gaidge reported the following metrics from client practices.
- Production increased to $647,150, a 4.1% increase over the second quarter of 2018. Contributing factors included an 18.2% increase in aligner starts with all other starts stable.
- Collections increased by 5.7% over the second quarter of 2018, to $607,672.
- While the average contract fee was 1% higher than last year, average initial payment declined by 1.3%.
- Exams increased by 4.4% to 188 with both Child and Adult exams contributing to the increase. Adults represented 31% of all exams.
- Per-doctor production increased 2.8% from the second quarter of 2018 to $407,540, driven by a 7.7% increase in aligner starts and 3.1% increase in all other starts.
- Collections increased by 4.9% to $1,020,800.
- While average contract fee increased by 1.2%, average initial payment declined by 1.8%.
- Exams increased 2.2% to 284 with both Child and Adult exams contributing to the increase. Adults represented 30% of all exams.