Award is open to submissions starting January 1st, 2024
Lifetime Achievement Award in Orthodontic Research
The AAO Lifetime Achievement Award in Orthodontic Research recognizes an individual who has made significant contributions to the science related to the specialty of orthodontics over the course of the recipient’s lifetime.
Previous winners of this award include:
- Dr. William Proffit (2017)
- Dr. Lysle E. Johnston (2018)
- Dr. Peter Buschang (2019)
- Dr. Anne Marie Kuijpers-Jagtman (2020)
- Dr. James A. MacNamara (2021)
- Dr. Katherine W.L. Vig (2022)
- Dr. W. Eugene Roberts (2023)
Dr. Birte Melsen will receive the next award at the Annual Session of the American Association to be held in 2024 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Nominations for the 2025 Award are now open.
Any AAO member in good standing is eligible to submit a nomination for the 2025 Lifetime Achievement Award in Orthodontic Research. Each nominator is limited to one Lifetime Achievement Award in Orthodontic Research nomination per year
To make a nomination, please submit the information below.
1. A curriculum vitae or resume highlighting the nominee’s contributions with regard to research.
2. A short summary of the lifetime achievements of the nominee in orthodontic research.
3. A letter of nomination and support signed by the nominating AAO member.
Nominations will be closed March 31, 2024.
AAO Lifetime Achievement Award in Orthodontic Research
1. Nominee has made significant contributions to the science related to the specialty of orthodontics through research.
2. Nominee has made significant contributions of original, outstanding, or innovative discoveries in orthodontic research across his or her lifetime.
3. Nominee has established a legacy of research and discovery that is inspiring to members of the academic community.
4. Nominee has produced information that is useful, or potentially useful, in advancing the clinical practice of orthodontics.
5. Nominee does not have to be an orthodontist.
6. AAO members may nominate individuals from the United States or any other country.