The Women in Orthodontics Networking Session had an overwhelmingly positive debut at the 2019 Annual Session as female orthodontists* gathered to explore common concerns, options and opportunities. This event will return at the 2020 Annual Session (May 1-4 in Atlanta).
Register for Annual Session and purchase Women in Orthodontics Networking Session tickets ($25).
(Already registered? Access the Registration Resource Center to add tickets.
The networking session will be part of the Doctors Scientific Program and will take place Saturday, May 2 with speakers from 1:30 – 3:30 pm followed by a reception from 3:30 – 4:30. The diverse and dynamic panel will include:
● Sophia K. McKinley, MD, EdM (keynote speaker): A clinical fellow completing a general surgical residency at Massachusetts General Hospital, Dr. McKinley graduated from the Harvard Medical School. An aspiring surgical oncologist, she has conducted a variety of both scientific research and research on medical education. Dr. McKinley is an advocate for women in medical specialties, often addressing career topics in her Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/sophiakmckinley?lang=en.
● Courtney Dunn, DDS, MS, panelist: Dr. Dunn has been in private orthodontic practice in Phoenix, Arizona with her husband, Dr. Matt Dunn, since graduating from the orthodontic residency program at the University of Michigan in 2004. She is the founder of the Women in Orthodontics® Study Group, which has 2,200-plus female orthodontists worldwide participating. In addition, Dr. Dunn is the editor of the Women in Orthodontics blog, a past president of the Arizona State Orthodontic Association and a current member of the AAO Council on Communications.
● Amanda K. Gallagher, DMD, MS, panelist: Dr. Gallagher completed the orthodontic residency program at the University of Maryland School of Dentistry in 2011. In 2013, she purchased a retiring orthodontist’s practice near Baltimore. Her husband, Ben Whetzel, an attorney, joined her practice soon afterwards to manage its operations. They have worked together to build three new offices in the Baltimore area.
● Kathy Lynn Marshall, DDS, MS, panelist: Dr. Marshall is the program director and interim chair of the orthodontic program at Howard University, her alma mater. She has also practiced privately in Maryland. Dr. Marshall completed the American Dental Education Association’s Academy for Academic Leadership (AAL) Institute for Teaching and Learning Program** and is an active member of the ADEA Postgraduate/Graduate Education and Orthodontics Sections.
● Jaleh Pourhamidi, MDSc, DMD, panelist. Vice President of Kids’ Dentistry and Orthodontics at Pacific Dental Services, Dr. Pourhamidi practices orthodontics in the Las Vegas, Nevada area. She was previously the Roseman University of Health Sciences’ Dean of the College of Dental Medicine, Henderson campus, and was the program director for the Advanced Education in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics/MBA Residency Program at the same institution. She has served as an examiner for the American Board of Orthodontics.
* Male orthodontists are also welcome to attend the Women in Orthodontics Networking Session.
** The AAO has a fellowship program for members participating in the AAL Institute for Teaching and Learning Program. Apply by February 28 to participate during 2020.