As part of a collaboration with business analytics provider, Gaidge, after each calendar quarter and full calendar year the AAO receives and shares with members key metrics compiled from a subset of Gaidge client practices. This subset includes:
● More than 300 single-doctor practices under $1 million in quarterly productivity; and
● More than 200 multiple-doctor practices with up to 10 locations.
The purpose of the collaboration is to aid members with assessment of practice health, short-term and long-term goal-setting and other key practice processes.
Q1 2022 Shows Growth in Production
● The first quarter of 2023 finished with traditional growth (in Net Production) over Q1 2022 at 2.7% and 3.6%, respectively in single-doctor and multi-doctor practices.
● Some of the growth may be attributed to contract fee increases of 2.9% in single-doctor practices and 2.3% in multi-doctor practices. Fee increases had been expected as practices attempted to offset inflationary pressures.
● New Patient Calls, Exams and Starts were all flat to showing slight growth over Q1 2022:
– Calls decreased by -2.4 in single-doctor practices and increased by 1.4% in multi-doctor practices;
– Exams increased 2.2% in single-doctor practices and 3.3% in multi-doctor practices – and compared with call volume, indicate success in securing exam appointments;
– Total Starts decreased by -.6% in single-doctor practices and increased by 1.3% in multi-doctor practices;
– Start outcomes include a decline in Aligner Starts for the fifth consecutive quarter, down -5.5% in single-doctor practices and -2.7% in multi-doctor practices. Declines on this metric were not as severe as those of recent quarters, however. For example, Q4 2022 Aligner Starts decreased by -8.9% in single-doctor practices and -12.9% in multi-doctor practices, as compared with Q4 2021.
● Conversion rates were down slightly in Q1 2023 vs. Q1 2022 (-.5% in single-doctor practices and -1.6% in multi-doctor practices). At approximately 70% in both practice categories, however, conversion continues to be stronger than historical levels.
View Additional Q1 2023 Metrics from Gaidge
* Interested in deepening your business knowledge to increase the health of your practice? Consider enrolling in the Wharton-AAO Mastering the Business of Orthodontics program. This eight-week, AAO member exclusive course features faculty from the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business paired with orthodontic practice management experts.
The program has received rave reviews from graduates. Enjoy flexible learning on your schedule as you earn 18 CE units. Save $100 if you register yourself and your office manager for the same cohort.
Registration is now open for the next cohort that will start September 13.