Applications are now open to join the AAO’s Special Committee on Inclusion & Engagement (SCIE). This committee works to create an environment within the AAO that is inclusive and rich in diversity.
Originally formed as a task force in 2020, SCIE has played a critical role in bringing a variety of initiatives to life, including hosting a virtual happy hour to provide a platform for members to discuss the culture of AAO, submitting a resolution to the 2022 House of Delegate encouraging AAO leaders to take implicit bias training, and developing an inclusion and engagement toolkit to support diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) efforts within AAO constituent and component organizations. The committee also submitted a recommendation that was passed by the Board of Trustees to give the strongest consideration for the selection of a Trustee-at-Large to an underrepresented minority group.
Apply by December 31, 2022, to bring your unique insight, ideas and leadership to this important committee.
Current members of SCIE:
- Dr. Sunil Kapila, Chair – Los Angeles, CA
- Dr. Gagan Bhalla – Mississauga, ON
- Dr. June Harewood – New York, NY
- Dr. David Harmon – Mitchelleville, MD
- Dr. Christian Johnson – Kennesaw, GA
- Dr. Nick Kim – Suwanee, GA
- Dr. Hilary Nieberg-Baskin – Greenwood Village, CO
- Dr. Lauren Pass, Trustee – Chicago, IL
- Dr. Steve Siegel, Trustee – Glen Burnie, MD
The Special Committee on Inclusion and Engagement (SCIE) has the following charges:
- Work to support and inspire diverse groups within the AAO by helping to develop tools and pathways to leadership.
- Identify obstacles for involvement in the AAO and make recommendations for change.
- Identify the unique needs and issues that face diverse orthodontists and implement plans to address these needs.
Desired qualifications for committee members:
- Talented member with a passion for advancing AAO’s DEI efforts.
- Each member must be willing to serve a two-year term, with an option for renewal for up to three terms.
- The ability to attend monthly committee meetings in the evening via conference call or Zoom, communicate via email, and meet annually in person (including the next in-person meeting on March 4, 2023 in St. Louis, MO).
View the Application Here: https://bit.ly/AAOSCIE
The application deadline is December 31, 2022. In addition to filling out the application above, please submit your CV to Brandon Hackworth at [email protected].
Schedule for the Selection Process:
- Committee meeting to review applications: Mid-January, 2023
- Recommendation of selected candidate to the AAO Board of Trustees: Mid-February, 2023
- Welcome letter sent to the new member: Week of February 27, 2023