Based on responses to the latest AAO public policy survey, members’ number one issue is patient health and safety relating to mail-order orthodontic treatment. With National Consumer Protection Week coming up March 5-March 11, news concerning mail-order orthodontic companies and patient/consumer protection issues includes:
● 12/5/22, District of Columbia AG Office: District of Columbia Attorney General Karl Racine Sues SmileDirectClub for Making Consumers Sign Confidentiality Agreements to Receive Promised Refunds
● 1/11/23, Bicuspid.com: Align Technology Sues SmileDirectClub for False Advertising
● 1/20/23, BBC: Dentists Warn of Permanent Damage from Clear Braces Ordered Online
● February 9, 2023, Top Class Actions: SmileDirectClub Telemarketing $2.95M Class Action Settlement in Florida
● APR Financing Rates, SDC: SmileDirectClub Financing for Treatment as High as 22.92% in Majority of States According to Current Rate Sheet
The AAO Legal & Advocacy team works collaboratively through grassroots engagement of AAO members to advocate and educate decision-makers in Washington, D.C. and at the state level for access to quality care. That means creating model policies to protect patients/consumers from improper use of medical device products that can cause serious and irreparable damage to teeth while bringing about unnecessary expenses for retreatment.
The AAO Political Action Committee helps fuel our advocacy success not only in Washington, D.C. but in ways that can also support our priorities at the state level across the country. Please consider making a 2023 contribution today at AAOPAC.org.